Open Source - we love you!
Why Open Source?
There are many reasons to use open source software, but the some of the main ones as far as you the end user are concerned in terms of your website are as follows:
- Its free to install and use
- The code is accessible and therefore customizable to suit your needs
- It has been developed by a massive community of developers throughout the world so the combined thinking power is far greater than a closed software company working in isolation
- Reliability. Because of the huge development community, bugs are fixed rapidly and since updates are always free you can always have the latest version without having to fork out for expensive new versions of your software
What flavours do we use?
We use a lot of Open Source software including the following:
- Zen Cart e-commerce module which developed from OSCommerce. We have developed our own highly customized version of Zen Cart called babelZen Examples can be seen in our portfolio
- Wordpress is a great little piece of Open Source software that gets better every year. We use it for Content Management sites that might include a blog
- Pommo. Who knows what it really stands for but it is a lovely piece of software for managing an online newsletter campaign and mailing lists
- Drupal and Joomla heavy weight content management systems
- OpenOffice The rival to Microsoft Office in every way and its FREE
- MySQL for all our online and office database needs
- Apache/Linux/PHP powers the majority of webservers out in the wild and is FREE...